from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
Have you ever wanted to draw a dinosaur for homework, kids or maybe just for fun? Here is how to draw a dinosaur accurately.
- Think of the dinosaur you want to draw. As there are hundreds of dinosaurs to choose from, you may want to pick a dinosaur before you begin to draw and learn a bit about it. If you can find a photograph of a fossilized skeleton or an artist's conception of the dinosaur to look at, it will help you to visualize the shape.
- Draw a shape for the head and shoulders or body, for starters. After drawing these few shapes, your chosen dinosaur will eventually form.
- Draw 'sausage' shapes for their upper and lower forelegs, then repeat for their hind legs.
- Add distinctive features like horns, armour plating, sails, back plates or crests, for example. Draw them first as light shapes or lines so you can see where they will go.
- Plan where the dinosaur's eyes, mouth and ears will go.
- Draw the outlines. This will form the true shape of the dinosaur.
- Lightly draw the pattern of your dinosaur. This is where you can have fun, because nobody knows the colour of pattern of any dinosaur. This is up to you.
- Write down your dinosaur's name, along with yours and your signature.
- You could also colour in your dinosaur, add shading, add a background or, if you want to really improve your drawings, do all of this. Then as a final product you could even do all of that and turn your drawing into a prehistoric scene.
- Learn about your dinosaur. It will help you develop its pattern and colours.
- Remember, not all dinosaurs lived at the same time and in the same country, so if you want to draw a realistic scene keep that in mind.
- Not all prehistoric animals were dinosaurs. Pterosaurs (otherwise wrongly known as pterodactyls),marine reptiles, mammoths,cavemen, giant insect etc. were not dinosaurs.
- Dinosaurs didn't live with cavemen.
- Experiment and practise.
Things You'll Need
- Pen or paintbrush
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Draw Dinosaurs. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.